Saturday 2 November 2013

This One Shampoo & Conditioner review

OK, so in October 2011 I thought it would be a great idea to dye my naturally blonde hair, red. I had done this once before when my hair was short but I thought that being long, and having a better shade, I would like it more.

By March 2012, I was bored of it and wanted it to be blonde again. The only way, being 3 layers of bleach.
As I'm sure anyone who has made this mistake can imagine, my hair turned into chewing gum texture, with the ends snapping off and flying around every time I dried it and brushed it. That is, when I could get a brush through it.

I've tried various 'treatments' and hair products for dry and damaged hair, but the first ones that I found useful are the ones I found in May this year, by a company called This One. I found the products on an intro offer in Superdrug and immediately was interested as they are BUAV approved and suitable for vegetarians and vegans - these things being something which was limiting my search of suitable products to use.
I should add at this point that I also picked up a bottle of Superdrug's own Argan Oil but I'll review that separately.

The bottles look like this:

THIS ONE Nourishing Shampoo 250mlTHIS ONE Intensive conditioner 250ml

These are the ones for dry hair. The Nourishing Shampoo, and the Intensive Conditioner. I also got a tub of this:

THIS ONE Replenishing Treatment 150ml

Replenishing Treatment

The first thing to mention of the shampoo is the smell. I find it to be pleasant, and quite natural. It seems almost fruity. The shampoo contains Morninga seed extract, Rice bran oil and vitamin E. 
The Morninga seed helps to strengthen the hair, while the Rice bran oil protects from dryness and damage.

The conditioner doesn't have much of a scent, but is very creamy and is easy to comb through my tangled tresses with a shower comb, and is nicely absorbed into the hair. I leave it on for a few minutes while I wash myself in the shower, so it has time to treat the hair.
It contains the same 2 ingredients as the shampoo, but with the added ingredient of Brazilian Pequi oil, which is known for it's nourishing qualities. 

It is worth noting that the shampoo does contain SLS (sodium laureth sulphate) so if this is something that you might react to then this won't be the shampoo for you.

In regards to the treatment, I've only actually used it twice so I don't think I could make a fair judgement on it yet. As I said before, I have been using Argan oil every time I was my hair so the need for the treatment hasn't been essential. What I will say, is it does make the hair very soft and it contains Cocoa butter so it is very nourishing.

I have used this shampoo and conditioner every other day since about mid-May, with the occasional use of my Lush Fair Trade Honey shampoo, and I think it has helped repair my hair significantly. The snapping off is reduced, but also helped by haircuts to get the dead ends taken off - it has to be said that there is no better cure for split and damaged hair than a haircut. No amount of hair products will repair very damaged hair, they will only help to control the damage,

No comments:

Post a Comment